On a daily basis, we interact with computer systems, such as smartphones and computers, but also transport, information, surveillance, communication systems, and much more. For greater ease and fluidity, the interactions between humans and these systems need to be simplified. The latter must learn to adapt to humans and offer them the means to express their needs more effectively and more naturally via new interaction tools. In return, they must produce more intelligible and reliable results, thanks to the automatic extraction of relevant information, which will help humans to reason better and make the best decisions in complex situations.
The objective of this group is to develop models and methods for digital simulation, machine learning or even decision making to help humans reason better, improve their interaction with their environment and better optimise certain processes.
Different fields of application are targeted, including the following:
- Intelligent Tutoring System: Both in software engineering and in data analysis, the group’s contribution is based on a better understanding of the sequences of the processes in order to help the person.
- Health́: in this field, the independence or the well-being of the person, in particular one who lives alone, is a focus of interest in order to detect short or longer term problems.
- Interaction: the objective is to promote the use of hand gestures and eye tracking as a complete and natural tool for human-machine interactions, particularly in virtual environments in virtual reality or in augmented reality.
- Transport: behaviour modelling can be used to analyse road infrastructure. To do this, multi-sensor analyses (including deep learning on the image or LIDAR) provide the use of infrastructures by users to simulate modified versions.
- Information/Journalism: this relates to helping to analyse the reliability of sources.
- Telecommunications: the objective is to allow any user to transmit their data at a sufficient rate but so as to maximise the capacity of the overall communication network.
- Design and maintenance environments for CPSoS and Interactive Machine Learning systems.