Energy and renewable energies are at the heart of economic and more broadly societal challenges, particularly with regard to sustainable development. To meet these future challenges, we need engineers with both technical and managerial skills. The specialised master’s degree in Positive Energy Building (BE+) is there for that. Accredited by the Conférence des Grandes Écoles, it is in the top 15 best Masters, MS and MBA degrees in the field of energy and renewable energies.
Being a Positive Energy Building (BE+) specialist both combines the ability to improve the safety, reliability and comfort of installations with a sustainable development objective to meet environmental challenges. This involves implementing the recommendations issued by the Grenelle de l’Environnement and the energy transition law applied to buildings with regards to thermal and energy.
In all, 508 hours are devoted to theoretical and practical teaching and activities as part of a multidisciplinary scientific and technical project. Two-thirds of teaching is provided by high-level expert speakers from the professional world. The training is organised according to 3 main teaching units (TUs):
TU 1 Comfort of the Home and Eco-design of buildings:
- Heat transfers
- Thermal comfort
- Indoor air quality
- Eco-design and life cycle analysis
- Building acoustics
- Bioclimatic Architecture
- Sustainable Development Approach
TU 2 Building envelope and Energy Systems:
- Methods and Tools for Dynamic Thermal Modelling of buildings
- Sizing of RT2012/RT2020 energy systems
- Practical Work – Study of Energy Systems
- Digital model
TU 3 Energy Efficiency of Buildings and Sustainable Development of Cities:
- Energy efficiency of low energy buildings
- Thermal rehabilitation of the building
- Renewable energies
- Passive building
- Energy management of cities
A complementary Teaching Unit "Monitoring, analysis and challenges for energy and the environment" (110 hours)
A complementary Teaching Unit “Monitoring, analysis and challenges for energy and the environment” (110 hours) is also offered, the educational content of which varies depending on the site chosen (Albi and Douai):
- Conferences: role of the architect, wooden constructions…
- Visits: Théâtre de l’Écoconstruction in Loos en Gohelle, Eco-districts of Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany) and Beckerich (Luxembourg)…
- Visits to several positive energy buildings in the south of France (Albi site)
Scientific and technical project
To involve engineering students in the reality of a positive energy building, a tutored project must be carried out jointly by professionals and teacher-researchers from the Centre for Education, Research and Innovation Energy Environment of IMT Lille Douai.
A work placement in a company (or professional thesis) lasting 6 months validates the course. It allows you to put into practice your abilities to understand an industrial problem in its broadest acceptance, scientific, economic, organisational, relational, human, etc.
The training is a preparation for the profession of specialist “Thermal Engineer and Building Energetic Engineer” with multiple skills:
- knowledge of thermal regulations and their evolution;
- bioclimatic approach to envelope design;
- sustainable development approach through life cycle analysis and eco-materials;
- modelling of the thermal dynamic of the building;
- optimisation of energy systems to meet needs;
- integration of active and passive renewable energy systems;
- knowledge of the rehabilitation process.
At the end of the “Positive energy building” MS, graduates undertake high-level positions of responsibility in R&D, study and design, project management and site monitoring missions:
Research and development
- Development of new techniques and energy systems optimised for the buildings of tomorrow
- Definition and development of new materials, Eco-materials and phase change materials
- Definition and optimisation of the concepts of Positive Energy buildings
Study and design
- Regulatory thermal calculations and thermal dynamic simulation tools
- Optimised energy installation sizing
- Definition of the building (design/adaptation)
- Assistance to project management and architects
Project manager and/or site monitoring
- Coordination of the different trades
- Definition and validation of adaptations for the rehabilitation of existing buildings
- inspection of achievements with regard to regulations
To be accepted onto the training, you must have:
- an Engineering degree accredited by the CTI (5-year degree)
- a University degree at Masters M2 level (5-year degree)
- an M1 (4-year) or Masters (4-year) level university degree and three years of professional experience
- a foreign degree of equivalent level (5-year)
Registration fees vary depending on your status: €6,500 including tax for young graduates and job seekers, €12,500 including tax for professionals, to which an application fee of €60 is added.
Recruitment is not yet open for the start of the 2021 school year.
The training takes place from September 2020 to February 2021 for the in-school training part followed by a 5 month long professional thesis between February and September 2021.